The “sedimentary basin” term is widely used in petroleum geology. There are many definitions by many authors; although with the help of them, it is possible to solve the problem of selecting a region for initial oil and gas exploration in a regional stage, but later does not allow to fully conduct the required geodynamic and oil-and-gas evolutionary reconstructions. It is rather difficult to apply the Sedimentary Basin term used in foreign geology for the purposes of petroleum zoning and planning petroleum geology investigations in Russia. Translation from English most often synonymizes these concepts, which results in a number of complexities and problems. Classification of sedimentary basins into basins of rock formation and depositional basins proposed by P.P. Timofeev in 1978 was not generally recognized in Russian geology. This has had a negative impact on regional oil and gas exploration results until now. Understanding of features and differences of these terms is necessary for correct management of exploration activities aimed at hydrocarbon studies in Russia. Although it is difficult to classify sedimentary basins when predicting their petroleum potential, the paper substantiates the relationship between their geodynamic position and the ability to accumulate and preserve oil and gas source formations up to the stage of hydrocarbon generation.
Feliks A. Migurskii ORCiD
Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences,
Head of Department
All-Russian Research Geological Oil institute
36, sh. Entuziastov, Moscow, 105118, Russia
1. Alekseev A.S., Baraboshkin E.Yu., Bolotov S.N. et al. Geoistoricheskii i geodinamicheskii analiz osadochnykh basseinov [Geohistorical and geodynamic analysis of sedimentary basins]. Moscow: TsRGTs; 1999. 524 p. In Russ.
2. Osadochnye basseiny: metodika izucheniya, stroenie i evolyutsiya [Sedimentary basins: methodology of study, structure and evolution]. In: Trudy GINRAN. Issue 543. Yu.G. Leonov, Yu.A. Volozh, eds. Moscow: Nauchnyi mir; 2004. 526 p. In Russ.
3. Timofeev P.P. Osnovnye problemy sovremennoi litologii i zadachi Mezhvedomstvennogo litologicheskogo komiteta [Main problems of modern lithology and tasks of the Interdepartmental Lithological Committee]. Litologiya i poleznye iskopaemye. 1978;(6):3–15. In Russ.
4. Dmitrievskii A.N. Osnovnye printsipy paleogeologicheskogo raionirovaniya [Basic principles of paleogeological zoning]. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 1994;(1):2–4. In Russ.
5. Nalivkin V.D. Neftegeologicheskoe raionirovanie [Petroleum zoning]. In: Printsipy neftegeologicheskogo raionirovaniya v svyazi s prognozirovaniem neftegazonosnosti nedr : trudy vsesoyuz. soveshch. (24–25 December 1973, Moscow). Moscow: Nedra; 1976. pp. 52–61. In Russ.
6. Nikishin A.M. Mechanisms of sedimentary basin formation. Sorosovskii obrazovatel’nyi zhurnal. 2001;7(4):63–68. In Russ.
7. Einsele G. Sedimentary Basins, Evolution, Facies and Sediment Budget. 2nd Edition. Springer-Verlag, 2000. 792 p.
8. Yudin V.V. Nadvigovye i khaoticheskie kompleksy [Overthrust and chaotic complexes]. Simferopol’: IT “ARIAL”; 2013. 252 p. In Russ.
9. Pedrosa-Soares A.C., Alkmim F. How many rifting events preceded the development of the Araçuaí-West Congo orogen? Geonomos. 2011;19(2):244–251. DOI: 10.18285/geonomos.v19i2.56.
10. Philip A. Allen, John R. Allen. Basin Analysis: Principles and Application to Petroleum Play Assessment. Third Edition. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2013. 326 p.
11. Romanovskii S.I. Litogeodinamika osadochnykh basseinov [Lithogeodynamics of sedimentary basins]. St. Petersburg: Izd-vo VSEGEI; 1996. 44 p. In Russ.
12. Demaison G., Huizinga H.J. Genetic classification of petroleum systems using three factors: charge, migrationand entrapment. In: The Petroleum Systemdfrom Source to Trap. AAPG Memoir. Vol. 60. L.B. Magoon, W.G. Dow, eds. 1994. DOI: 10.1306/m60585c4.
13. Romankevich E.A., Vetrov A.A., Peresypkin V.I. Organic matter of the world ocean. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2009;50(4):299–307. DOI: 10.1016/j.rgg.2009.03.013
14. Grachevskii M.M. Paleogeomorfologicheskie predposylki rasprostraneniya nefti i gaza [Paleogeomorphological prerequisites for oil and gas distribution]. In: Tr. NILZarubezhgeologiya. Issue 32. Moscow: Nedra; 1974. 155 p. In Russ.
15. Wignall P.B. Black Shales. New York: Oxford University Press; 1994. 127 p.
16. Yudovich Ya.E., Ketris M.P. Geochemistry of black shale [Geokhimiya chernykh slantsev]. Leningrad: Nauka; 1988. 272 p. In Russ.
17. Romankevich E.A. Geokhimiya organicheskogo veshchestva v okeane [Geochemistry of organic matter in the ocean]. Moscow: Nauka; 1977. 256 p. In Russ.