The authors present evaluation of high-asphaltene and high-resin oil resources as a key source of hydrocarbon raw materials in future, as well as analysis of common factors of their spatial distribution and special features of physical and chemical properties in present-day realities. Basing on the analysis of information from the database of physical and chemical properties of world oils and spatial distribution of world oil reserves, the authors show that one third of oil and gas bearing basins in the world contain high-asphaltene and high-resin oil reserves. This fact places an emphasis on the novelty of this paper and relevance of studies of this type of oil in modern and predicted future oil production scenarios. The paper presents the results of systematization of data related to high-asphaltene and high-resin oils and reveals specific features of their reserves distribution across countries. It is shown that more than 80 % of world high-asphaltene oil reserves occur in Canada, Venezuela, and Russia; and more than 85 % of high-resin oils — in Canada and Russia. About 94 % of Russian high-asphaltene and high-resin oils occur in three petroleum basins, they are: Volga-Urals, West Siberian, and Timan-Pechora. Statistical analysis of the physical and chemical properties of high-asphaltene and high-resin oils was carried out. Asphaltene- and resin-rich oils are found to have high density and viscosity, high sulphur, nitrogen and oxygen, as well as vanadium and nickel content.
Irina G. Yashchenko ORCiD Scopus
Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences,
Leading Researcher Institute of Petroleum Chemistry, Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
4, Akademichesky prospekt, Tomsk, 634055, Russia
Researcher ID: D-9401-2014
Yurii M. Polishchuk ORCiD Scopus
Doctor of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, Professor,
Institute of Petroleum Chemistry, Siberian Division of the Russian Academy of Sciences,
4, Akademichesky prospekt, Tomsk, 634055, Russia
1. Dorokhin V.P., Palii A.O. Sostoyanie i perspektivy dobychi tyazhelykh i bituminoznykh neftei v mire [Heavy and bituminous oil: current state and future trends of world oil production]. Neftepromyslovoe delo. 2004;(5):47–50. In Russ.
2. Gavrilov V.P. Conception of “petroleum era”extension of Russia. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2005;(1):53–59. In Russ.
3. Zapivalov N.P. Geological and technological features of effective exploration of difficult to extract resources. Neftyanoe khozyaistvo. 2005;(6):57–59. In Russ.
4. Maksutov R.A., Orlov G.I., Osipov A.V. Osvoenie zapasov vysokovyazkikh neftei v Rossii. Tekhnologii TEK. 2005;(6):36–40. In Russ.
5. Borisova L.S. Geochemical features of composition and texture of resin components for oils of West Siberia. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2014;(1):120–128. In Russ.
6. Borisova L.S., Fursenko E.A. Effect of biodegradation processes on the composition and structure of asphaltenes in West Siberian oils. Georesursy. 2018;20(4):301–307. DOI:10.18599/grs.2018.4.301-307. In Russ.
7. Borisova L.S. The origin of asphaltenes and main trends in evolution of their composition during lithogenesis. Petroleum Chemistry. 2019;59(10):1118–1123. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544119100037.
8. Gordadze G.N., Giruts M.V., Koshelev V.N., Yusupova T.N. Distribution features of biomarker hydrocarbons in asphaltene thermolysis products of different fractional compositions (using as an example oils from carbonate deposits of Tatarstan oilfields). Petroleum Chemistry. 2015;55(1):22–31. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544115010053.
9. Ok S., Rajasekaran N., Sabti M.A., Joseph G.A. Spectroscopic analysis of crude oil asphaltenes at molecular level. Petroleum Chemistry. 2020;60(7):802–809. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544120070117.
10. Ustkachkintcev E.N., Melekhin S.V. Determination of the efficiency of wax deposition prevention methods. Perm Journal of Petroleum and Mining Engineering. 2016;15(18):61–70. DOI: 10.15593/2224-9923/2016.18.7 In Russ.
11. Antoniadi D.G., Gaponenko A.M., Vartumyan G.T., Strel’tsova Yu.G. Sovremennye tekhnologii intensifikatsii dobychi vysokovyazkoi nefti i otsenka effektivnosti ikh primeneniya: ucheb. posobie [Modern technologies of enhancement of high-viscous oil production and their efficiency: textbook]. Moscow; Vologda: Infra-Inzheneriya; 2019. 421 p. In Russ.
12. Ilyin S.O., Pakhmanova O.A., Kostyuk A.V., Antonov S.V. Effect of the asphaltene, resin, and wax contents on the physicochemical properties and quality parameters of crude oils. Petroleum Chemistry. 2017;57(6):1141–1143. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544117060160.
13. Voronetskaya N.G., Pevneva G.S., Korneev D.S., Golovko A.K. Influence of asphaltenes on the direction of thermal transformations of heavy oil hydrocarbons. Petroleum Chemistry. 2020;60(2):166–173. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544120020103.
14. Antipenko V.R. Termicheskie prevrashcheniya vysokosernistogo prirodnogo asfal’tita: Geokhimicheskie i tekhnologicheskie aspekty [Thermal transformations of high-sulphur natural asphaltite: geochemical and technological aspects]. Novosibirsk: Nauka; 2013. 184 p. In Russ.
15. Cheshkova T.V., Kovalenko E.Y., Gerasimova N.N., Sagachenko T.A., Min R.S. Composition and structure of resinous components of heavy oil from the Usa oilfield. Petroleum Chemistry. 2017;57(1):31–38. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544117010054. In Russ.
16. Yashchenko I.G., Polishchuk Y.M. Classification Approach to Assay of Crude Oils with Different Physicochemical Properties and Quality Parameters. Petroleum Chemistry. 2019;59(10):1161–1168. DOI: 10.1134/S0965544119100116.
17. Yashchenko I.G., Polishchuk Yu.M. Classification of poorly recoverable oils and analyis of their quality characteristics (Reviews). Chemistry and Technology of Fuels and Oils. 2016;52(4):434–444. DOI: 10.1007/s10553-016-0727-9.
18. An V.V., Kozin E.S., Polishchuk Yu.M., Yashchenko I.G. Baza dannykh po khimii nefti i perspektivy ee primeneniya v geokhimicheskikh issledovaniyakh [Database of petroleum chemistry and future trends of its use in geochemical investigations]. Geologiya nefti i gaza. 2000;(2):49–51. In Russ.
19. Polishchuk Yu.M., Yashchenko I.G. Geostatisticheskii analiz raspredeleniya neftei po ikh fiziko-khimicheskim svoistvam [Geostatistical analysis of oils classification according to their physical and chemical properties]. Geoinformatika. 2004;(2):18–28. In Russ.
20. Polichtchouk Yu.M., Yashchenko I.G. The regular of variations in resin and asphaltene contents in Eurasian oils. Russian Geology and Geophysics. 2003;44(7):695–701.
21. Yashchenko I.G., Polishchuk Yu.M. Geografiya vysokosmolistykh neftei i osobennosti ikh fiziko-khimicheskikh svoistv [High-resin oils: geography and special features of their physical and chemical properties // Izvestija Tomskogo Politekhnicheskogo Universiteta (Bulletin of Tomsk Polytechnic University)]. Izvestiya Tomskogo politekhnicheskogo universiteta. 2011;318(1):99–102. In Russ.